Friday, November 13, 2009

It's Everything Disney!

I am a movie fanatic. My house is filled with them. There are movies in my room, on my desk, in my family room, and in bins in my basement. If there is ever a few hours to spare in my house, the time is filled by watching a movie.

Whether I watch a comedy on my own or a Disney flick with my family, movies are a way for me to calm down and relax. There isn't just one type of movie that I like. I'm a fan of comedy, tragedy, true stories, fairy tales, horror (to an extent), romance, or any mix of genres.

To be honest, most of my favorites are Disney. I'm obsessed with Peter Pan and how its so childish but meaningful too. I love how the main ideas of it consists of magic and believing in something. When I was little, I was just like Peter and never wanted to grow up- I used to cry on my birthdays. I think I love Disney so much because I love the sweetness of the stories and how there is always a happy ending even when everything seems to be going down hill. I suppose that's also kind of naive, but I could never get over wanting a Prince Charming.

Another top Disney movie for me would have to be Aladdin. It's a classic in my house. The thing that draws me to Aladdin is the songs. 'A Whole New World' is on my ipod because it's so cute! If you listen to the lyrics, it really describes what the characters are feeling when they're with each other. The hilarious characters are another reason that Aladdin is one of the best movies ever. Robin Williams really brings spunk and humor to the Genie. Without all of the imitations, I wouldn't have laughed half as much.

There's no way I can leave out The Lion King. This used to be my absolute favorite movie and inspired my love for wild animals. Tamon and Pumbaa are the amazing dynamic duo with a catch phrase that has always stuck with me. "Hakuna Matata" means no worries, and they really got that across in a fun way. But the best part of this movie is Rafiki, the crazy monkey. I love when he says important things that nobody understands but is funny at the same time.

The Little Mermaid also has got to be mentioned. Who could talk about Disney and not bring up the mermaid story? So in this movie you've got a mermaid princess Ariel who is in love with a human prince, a forbidding father(who is also the king), the rule-following advisor Sebastian, the crazy Skuttle who overlooks everything, and of course Ursula the sea witch. I'm assuming you can guess what happened. Ariel is dying to be apart of the human world to be with Prince Eric, who is also looking for a wife. Ariel goes to the sea witch when she is denied by her father the chance to be with him. Ursula puts Ariel under a spell to appear human for three days, but she can only stay a human if she receives a kiss from her prince- the catch is that Ursula takes Ariel's voice! I'm not going to tell you what happens, but I'm sure you've seen this classic. And if you haven't-you don't know what you're missing.

There are way more Disney movies that I love, but these ones are some of the best.

(586 words.)

6 comments:

  1. Rachie Kamps;
    First off I absolutely love your blog! Two good things I like are that you have a great voice, and it really brings yours writing to life. Second, the details of your disney movie favorites actually made me want to watch them! To improve your blog, I would say that you just should introduce the movies you will be talking about. The other thing I would recomend is when it says, "I'm a fan of comedy, tragedy, true stories, fairy tales, horror (to an extent), romance, or any mix of genres." you could maybe give an example of each because im not sure an example of a truestory movie. Like a documentary? Overall really good rach! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Robin Williams really brings spunk and humor..." I think using the word 'spunk' really made this sentence express what you wanted to say with some personal voice. I also love disney movies and was glad to hear I'm not the only one! I think that you could have shortened the description of 'The Little Mermaid" and opted for elling us why these movies were so personal or your favourites. I really like your take on these movies, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what stephanie said, that your blog is great. But I found some mistakes. Consult your big sixteen worksheet for Its and It's. Look in your third paragraph and you will see the mistake. But overall I tend to agree with you on how disney movies are awsome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Brian, I did notice that in your post, you spelled 'awesome' wrong after telling me a grammar mistake and I found that ironic =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really good post. I love how you wrote about Disney movies. Your post shows that you're never too old to be a fan of what makes childhood so much fun. There was a typo that I found, so just make sure that when you proofread your work you're really looking for the smallest things. I agree with Steph, and that you should've given an example of each movie when you listed all of the genres that you liked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at you--five comments already! Everyone needs to read Rachel's Movie Blog--it's the new Perez Hilton!

    Watch agreement here: If there is ever a few hours to spare in my house, the time is filled by watching a movie.

    Beginning sentences with "so", "well", or "to be honest" is a delay tactic and it's "talk-writing". Try to eliminate that from your writing.

    It's tough, but if you're such a huge Disney fan, you should be able to spot the misspelled character name!

    Best part: "I think I love Disney so much because I love the sweetness of the stories and how there is always a happy ending even when everything seems to be going down hill. I suppose that's also kind of naive, but I could never get over wanting a Prince Charming." That's sweet and genuine, and I'd be curious to see your reaction to rereading that in ten years. Maybe by then you'll be even more attached to the wistful fantasy of the Disney universe. By the way, "downhill" is one word.

    A part vs. apart--look it up!

    ReplyDelete